OMG is right! Who doesn't love a good pretzel? These letter-shaped pretzels are AMAZING and quite delicious. I have never made homemade pretzels before, so it was quite the learning experience. Although my letters didn't turn out 100% perfect, they were still so much fun to make and are the epitome of edible cuteness. If you are looking for a fun project to do with friends, and you have a couple of hours, the pretzel letters are a must!
Cookie cutters - I bought 3" letters from Sur La Table
— 1 1/2 cups warm water
— 1 tablespoon sugar
— 2 teaspoons salt
— 4 1/2 cups of flour
— 1 packet of dry yeast
— 1/4 cup butter, melted
— 10 cups water
— vegetable oil
— 2/3 cup baking soda
— 1 egg yolk
— pretzel salt for dusting
1. Pour the warm water, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the packet of yeast over the water and let sit for five minutes.
2. Add the flour and the melted butter and mix until the dough is smooth.
3. Rub another bowl with vegetable oil and place the dough inside. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place. Allow the dough to rise for one hour.
4. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and grease your baking sheet. Pour 10 cups of water and 2/3 cup baking soda in the pot on the stove and bring to a boil.
5. Place it on a floured surface and use your palms or a rolling pin to flatten the dough to about 1/2-inch thick.
6. Use your alphabet cookie cutters to cut out your desired letters. Place them on the oiled baking sheet.
7. Once the water in the pot has come to a boil, drop in the pretzel dough and leave to sit for 30 seconds. Remove from the water with a slotted spatula and place back onto the baking sheet. Repeat for each letter.
8. In a separate bowl, mix an egg yolk with one teaspoon of water.
9. Brush the tops of the dough and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
10. Place the pretzels in the oven for 9-10 minutes or until browned.
*Recipe/how-to via Sam Ushiro